Search EIN Numbers In Florida
Nearly Every Business In Florida Is Required To Apply For An EIN Number In Order To Hire Employees, Pay Taxes, And More
How Do EIN Numbers Work in Florida?
How Do I Find EIN Numbers In Florida?
If you are a business owner in Florida and want to find your own EIN, you can look for your old tax returns or business bank account information. These documents will contain your business’s EIN.
However, if you need to look up an EIN for another company in Florida, you can go to the Florida Division of Corporations public lookup. However, you can only go this route if the business is publicly traded. Only publicly-traded company EINs are public records. It might be more challenging to look up a private company’s name, but you can try EIN lookup service .
What Is an EIN Number?
An Employee Identification Number (or EIN) is a unique 9-digit number given out by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). It’s a type of federal tax number needed by most business entities in Florida.
People also call EIN the federal employer identification number (FEIN), federal tax id number, or business tax number.
Businesses need an EIN to open a business bank account, take out a loan, pay taxes or get a business credit card.
How Do EIN Numbers Work In Florida?
Florida businesses that have employees need an EIN, mainly for tax purposes. An EIN should be one of the first steps when setting up a new business. You need an EIN to:
- Make a bank deposit under your company’s name
- File a tax return
- Perform any other tax-related activities
Who Needs an EIN in Florida?
If you’re wondering if your business in Florida needs an EIN, the IRS lists the following situations that require one:
- You have employees. This rule applies whether you are operating as a sole proprietor or a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO)
- Your business must file the following tax returns: employment, alcohol, tobacco, firearms, excise.
- Your business is an incorporation or a partnership.
- Your business withholds taxes on income other than wages paid to a non-resident alien.
- Your business is involved with non-profit organizations, farmer’s cooperatives, plan administrators, trustees, or real estate mortgage investment conduit or their agents.
If you have a new business that’s not an LLC or sole proprietorship, or you’ve recently changed your business structure (for example, you incorporated or got a new partner), you need to get a new EIN.
However, you don’t need an EIN if:
- You have a Limited Liability Company. However, make sure that you register with your local employment development department in your area.
- You are a limited partnership.
- You are a sole proprietor of a small business that doesn’t have employees and doesn’t need to pay an excise tax, or you are self-employed. In this case, you can choose to use your Social Security Number (SSN).
For more information on whether your business type needs an EIN, you can search the IRS website for specific details.
Do I Need an EIN to Apply for a Business License in Florida?
Municipalities give business licenses in Florida, so whether you need an EIN is dependent on where your business is located in Florida.
Generally, if you have a corporation, an LLC with two or more members, or you have employees, you need to get an EIN in addition to your business license.
How to Apply for an EIN Number in Florida
If you need to apply for an EIN in Florida, you can do it several ways:
- You can go online to the IRS website. This service is available Monday through Friday from 7 am to 10 pm Eastern Standard Time (EST).
- You can also call the toll-free number at 800-829-4933 or fax them at 859-669-5780 from 7 am to 10 pm EST.
- You can mail the form to this address:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: EIN Operations
Cincinnati OH, 45999
No matter how you apply, you’ll need to fill out Form SS-4. You’ll need to include your legal company name, mailing address, type of business, and reason for applying. Only the company’s ‘designated person’ can file for an EIN.
EIN is like a business’s fingerprint and is an essential part of any organization in Florida. If you need more information, you can go directly to the IRS website.If you need to search for an EIN, you can try reputable sites like EINsearch.